Sunday, January 18, 2015

66 at 66

The first 66 in the title is my chronological age, not to be confused with my actual relatively youthful, undeterminable age.

The other 66 is Route 66. It dawned on me the other day that I was living just a few miles south of Route 66. The Greyhound bus covered many miles on or near the old route bringing me to Holbrook, AZ. Thence I took shuttle bus about 25 miles south to little Snowflake. (We had some snow the other night. Warmed and melted quickly.)




My friends the Kolmans traveled some Route 66 territory a couple years ago and gave me a Route 66 flag on their return to Montana. It is now covering one of my windows in the travel trailer I am renting. The other windows have the World, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, my Star and Heart American flag, and a Tibetan banner covering them.

I recall walking along the Lincoln Highway through some of Nebraska last summer.

But, Route 66 seems to be in a class by itself - also known as the Mother Road, the Will Rogers Highway, and Main Street of America. It was established in 1926 as one of the original highways in the US Highway system. 




If you are my vintage, you will remember the TV show called Route 66 in the 80s and maybe even the theme song for the show. Remember?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

Very interesting blog coming about a man I met on latest journey. Keep an eye out for Night Shift.

You may send comments to theportableschool@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment